In 1885, a subscription school was opened
over a drug store in Atlanta with Miss May Kinley as teacher.
The next year Miss Anna Primrose taught a subscription school in
the Methodist Church on the present vacant lot north of the Ed
A school district was organized in 1887 and
the building was located on the present site. Miss Stanberry and
an assisting student taught the first public school in Atlanta.
In 1901 a two-story frame building was built. This served for
both the grades and the high school until a rural high school
was built. The grade school occupied the building until 1929
when the present building was completed.
For the past two years the following
teachers have been employed: Alice Shockey, Grades 5-6; Manila
DeFore, Grades 3-4; and Mrs. Hazel Elfman, Grades 1-2. The
present members of the school board are: Mrs. Anna Jones, Roy
Houser, and H. M. Critchlow.