Bland school district
was organized and a schoolhouse built during the year
1872. Bland and Mercer schoolhouses were built the
same year, and were the first in that part of the
county. Theaker was second and was built in 1874.
Bland was named for
Mr. A. P. Bland who lived on what is now known as the
The first teacher of
the school was a Miss Landis, who came to Kansas from
Iowa to visit and remained long enough to teach one term
for a salary of $25 per month.
In 1894 the present
school building was erected. The money used was
raised beforehand by a large levy: 15 mills in 1892 and
1893 and 12 mills in 1894. By this arrangement
cash was on hand to meet the bills when the building was
Elizabeth Warning, the
State Rural School Supervisor, made the school Standard
in 1929. Alice Kirkpatrick was the teacher at that
Mr. and Mrs. J. A.
Ramsey have the distinction of having attended the
school as pupils, sent all their children to Bland and
their grandchildren attending Bland school.
The teacher in 1933
was Lois Snyder and the enrollment was sixteen.
The school board members were: Earl Bennett,
Austin A. Ramsey, and W. M. Schmitt.