The first school
was held in 1875-1876 in a squatter's log cabin owned by
Mr. True and located one mile south and one-fourth mile
east of the present school. Holes were bored in the logs
and stakes were driven through and planks were fastened
on to these to use as seats. there were no desks. This
first school was taught by Lamie Morris.
After two terms of
six months' school in the log cabin a frame building was
erected on the John Glaslow farm one-half mile south of
the present location. Annie Drose taught about
sixty-five pupils in this one-room building.
Water was carried a
quarter of a mile. The pupils did not sit in separate
classes. The girls all sat on one side of the and the
boys on the other side. This building was used for a
number of years and then sold to be used as a corn bin.
Later a larger building was erected on the present
location and was used until the oil field came in 1923.
It was replaced by a modern two-room brick building in
The school has won
sixteen cups and six pennants. Six of these cups have
been won for track, seven in basketball, two in
baseball, and one for selling W. C. T. U. Tags. The
school board members are: D. D. Jennings, W. S. Mock,
and Joe Fisher. The teachers are Ruth and Royene Levick
and the enrollment is 62. Supervisors are: Mrs. E.
Perkins, art: Mrs. Arthur Huston, Music; and Mrs. L. C.
Stover, Religious Education.