District 1, one of the oldest districts in Cowley
County, is located one mile northeast of Winfield. It
was organized in year 1872 and was located one-half mile
northeast of its present location on what is now J. D.
Keasling farm. In 1884 it was moved to a location on the
Tisdale road, just east of the Glacken home.
Some of those who
attended school at this time can recall that there were
65 pupils enrolled, sitting three in a seat because of
the crowded conditions. In 1892, a new building was
erected on the present site. In 1911 this building
burned and the present building was erected.
Science Valley has
been a Standard school since the year 1918. It has a
large playground with an abundance of large shade trees.
The playground equipment consists of swings,
teeter-totters, slide and basketball court. While none
of those who have attended Science Valley are listed in
"Who's Who in America" a great many have achieved more
than ordinary success and all have gone out into the
world and made good.
Mitchell is the present teacher with 31 pupils enrolled.
The members of the school board are: H. A. Graham, J. D.
Keasling, L. R. Ross.