District number 36 is composed at seven sections of land
and the school house is located five miles west of
Arkansas City. The school district was organized in
1872. Mrs. Elizabeth Theaker taught the first school in
her home. The first school house was built in 1874. Mrs.
Theaker taught the first term in the new building and
the district was named Theaker in her honor.
When the house was
completed it was found that there were no funds with
which to buy a bell. A part of the money was raised by
subscription, and a dance was given in the school-house
to raise the remainder. The bell was purchased and kept
ringing all the way from Arkansas City. After it was
placed, a man in the district said, "Curfew shall ring
tonight," and made good his word by ringing the bell all
night. In looking over the old records it was found that
the rules and regulations for the teachers and pupils
were made by the board and written in the registers.
In 1910 the old
school house was sold and a new one erected. Theaker was
one of the first schools in the county to be made
Standard, and this occurred on October 4, 1916. Of the
forty-four teachers who have wielded the rod over
Theaker school, Miss Effie Burnett has the honor of
holding the position for nineteen years. The present
enrollment is nine. Miss Edra Elam is the present
teacher and the members of the school board are: Chas.
M. Baird, F. B. HcMillen. and J. O. Gibson.